Frequently asked questions
1. Who is eligible to participate?
Anyone who has obtained a degree (Bachelor's or Masters) less than 10 years ago (i.e. 1999 onwards).
2. Why does the symposium have this restriction?
Our aim is to bring together young researchers who are either currently working on their PhD, or are going to start their PhD in the future. Young postdoctoral researchers are also welcome. Preference will be given to applicants who have obtained their degree less than 4 years ago (i.e. 2005 onwards) and to applicants submitting abstracts for a poster or short talk.
1. How does the registration process work?
After applying online, your application will be reviewed by the symposium committee. After the registration deadline is closed, you will be notified if your application is accepted. You must then confirm your attendance and pay the registration fee.
- In order to apply to the symposium, you must first of all set up a conference account in the EMBL events' database and enter your personal details. With the logon from this account (e-mail + password) you will be able to register for the symposium as well as other EMBL conferences or courses. During registration, please indicate whether you want to present a poster and/or give a short talk or not. After registration, an automated e-mail confirming your registration will be sent to you containing the link for the abstract submission. We accept only online submission of abstracts.
- After abstract submission deadline (25th of August, 2009), all applications will be reviewed by the symposium committee and evaluated. The application might be rejected, accepted, or put on the waiting list. In any case, the applicant will be notified by August 28th.
- If accepted, you must confirm your attendance and pay the registration fee by September 20th, 2009.
- Upon confirmation of attendance, you will receive a link via e-mail for online payment of the registration fee. Please be aware that non-payment of the registration fee by September 20th might cause forfeiting your place in the meeting. After this date we will contact the next applicants from the waiting list.
2. How will I know if I have been accepted?
We will notify you by e-mail.
3. If I submit an abstract, do I have to present a poster/give a short talk?
Yes. The aim of the symposium is to facilitate scientific communication between researchers. Posters and short talks are a great way to present your research and is highly encouraged by the committee. When submitting your abstract you can choose between applying for an oral presentation or applying for a poster presentation. If not selected for a talk, your abstract will be still considered for a poster presentation.
4. Will I be selected to give a short talk?
Due to time limitations, only a limited number of participants will be selected to give short talks. We will select the speakers after closing the application deadline. We will notify you whether you have been selected shortly afterwards.
5. I registered but did not receive a confirmation e-mail. What should I do?
Please contact us. Chances are that there was a temporary problem with the website.
6. How are the 2000 characters of the abstract submission counted?
The application counts each entered character according to to manually typed text. If you copy paste the text, hidden formatting might still be included and you will be informed that your text exceeds the limit of 2000 characters. We recommend copy-pasting it into Notepad and then onto the website. Some symbols are not recognized by the tool if they are copy-pasted. Make sure to use the website's editing tool to include the special characters.
7. How do I apply for the stipend for the registration fees?
Once you receive the confirmation of participation, we will ask you to send us a short write-up as to why you think you are eligible for it.
1. Which deadlines do I have to keep in mind?
|1st April 2009:||Registration opens|
|25th August 2009:||Registration closes|
|25th August 2009:||Deadline for submission of poster and/or talk abstract|
|28th August 2009:||Notification about application acceptance|
|20th September 2009:||Deadline for payment of registration fee|
|29th October 2009:||Beginning of Symposium|
2. Will accommodation be provided?
No, we do not provide any accommodation. It has to be personally arranged. However, if you are happy to share a double room with a fellow participant, rooms have been pre-booked at the EMBL/ISG hotel near EMBL. Please note that a shuttle bus will run between the EMBL and the ISG Hotel during the conference. If you are interested please contact the ISG Hotel.
- EMBL/ISG Hotel
In any other case, you can consult our list on the "Travel" page and choose the hotel that suits you best.
3. Will meals be provided?
Lunch and dinners will be provided for the duration of the symposium. Breakfasts need to be organised on your own but might be provided with your accommodation.
For further questions
Please feel free to contact us